The Google Chrome Error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN occurs mostly due to misconfigured DNS settings on your desktop internet connection. It is a popup that shows up in Google Chrome and is rather annoying. However, it has an easy solution to it. You will find a detailed step by step guide for each of the ways of solving this issue.
First of all, let us discuss what causes the error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN in Google Chrome.
Table of Contents
What is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error?
The Google Chrome error pops up when your internet or DNS settings get messed up. If you try to search the web, you end up getting an error message with ‘this site cannot be reached’ and the error message.
Essentially, Domain Name Servers (DNS) is responsible for redirecting a domain to the relevant IP address. In the occasion that it fails in that, the NXDOMAIN error appears. NXDOMAIN stands for Non-Existent Domain.
The error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN is mostly seen in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and even in Mac or Android Phones that run the Google Chrome Browser. Sometimes its even seen in other browsers.
The Error Reads:
This site can’t be reached
www.xyzabs.com‘s server DNS address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error Solutions
There are 5 working solutions for this error, as of now.
Solution 1 – Resetting Winsock Program
Solution 2 – Solving DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN using Different Commands through Command Prompt
Solution 3 – Changing TCP/IP4 Proxy Settings
Solution 4 – Resetting Chrome Flags Settings
Solution 5 – Restart DNS Client [NEW]
Let’s have a look at each solution one by one.
Solution 1: Reset Winsock Program
This solution is the most effective and will fix the issue easily and pretty fast. So before you get down to resetting your Winsock program, you need to know what a Winsock program is.
So, Winsock is an interface that acts as the support for input/output requests. It works specifically for internet applications in the windows OS. When misconfiguration causes the error “DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN” resetting Winsock program can solve the issue.
- Go to the windows menu and type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. The command prompt will come up as the result of your search. Using the right click, select ‘run as administrator’ from the drop-down menu.
- Wait for a command prompt window to open up. In the window, just copy and paste the following message: netsh winsock reset
- Once the prompt window opens up, copy paste the message :netsh winsock reset
That’s it. The command will process and you’ll get a message saying it’s successful. All that’s left is for you to restart your computer once for the changes to take effect.
Now if you try to surf the web, the error should have been removed.
This is a pretty frequent issue for computers running on Windows 10, but this solution works most of the time for it.
Also, if you’re facing the same issue on your Mac PC, you have to do something pretty similar. The error message should read ‘dns probe finished no internet mac’. All you need to do is run the command : c:\ root netsh winsock reset.
Recommended: Best Kodi Addons | Working Kodi Addons 2018
Solution 2: Using Command Prompt
You can use multiple commands to flush DNS and fix the DNS Probe Finished NXDomain Issue.
If the winsock reset command doesn’t work, you need to use this solution instead.
- Click on the windows button, type cmd and open up the command prompt.
- Run as administrator after clicking right on the command prompt option.
- Start running all of the commands given below one by one. Just type the command and press enter:
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
Note: Do No run all the commands together.
- Once that’s done, restart your computer and then open your web browser. This should have fixed the DNS_probe_finished_nxdomain issue.
Solution 3: Change TCP/IP4 Proxy Settings
If the above solutions didn’t work for you, you may have to change the network proxy settings. These are the TCP/IP4 settings and should solve the DNS Probe Finished NXDomain error.
- Click the right cursor on the windows button and go to network connections in the drop down menu.
- In the menu, right click on the internet connection currently active on your device and go to properties.
- In the options list find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Once you find it, select it and go to it’s properties tab.
- In the new window that will pop up, check on ‘use below preferred and alternwte DNS addresses’ After that you just need to enter the alternative DNS settings given below.
- Preferred DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
- Alternate DNS Server: 220.127.116.11
- The OK button will save the changes you’ve made. And should resolve your issue.
Solution 4: Reset Chrome Flag Settings
Finally, if nothing works, there is one more relatively simple method of fixing this issue.
- Copy the given below URL Text and Paste it into Google Chrome Address bar
- The URL text given below needs to be copied and pasted into the Google Chrome address bar:
- When you press enter, it will take you to the Google’s settings page.
- In the settings page, click on ‘reset all to default’ and that’s it. This should effectively fix your issue and let you surf the web effectively.
Solution 5: Restart DNS Client
Now, it’s mighty possible that none of the solutions given above worked for you. Or maybe you don’t want to apply them. There is one last way of fixing this issue. Just restarting the DNS client sometimes does the trick.
- Step 1: use Ctrl + R to open the run dialogue box.
- Step 2: In the run dialogue box type ‘services.msc’.
- Step 3: A list of services will open in a new window and you just need to scroll till You find the DNS client service.
- Step 4: Right-click on the DNS client option and then select restart from the drop-down menu.
That should fix your issue and you should be able to run your computer’s web browser smoothly.
Also, it’s important to remember that if you’re facing this issue for just one site, then your internet configuration is fine and there is something wrong with the host server. Anyway, we hope that we were able to help you out with the best. You can explore our site for more such informative posts.